Expensive Mr Bassie,
I’m a Commonwealth citizen. Please advise me underneath what circumstances I could also be eligible to use for a United Kingdom (UK) Ancestry visa.
Individuals can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if all the following are true:
• They’re Commonwealth residents;
• They’ll show that one in every of their grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man;
• They’re ready and planning to work within the UK;
• They meet the opposite eligibility necessities.
Individuals should show that they:
• Are 17 years outdated or over;
• Have the funds for, with out assist from public funds, to assist and home themselves and any dependents;
• Can and plan to work within the UK.
They need to additionally be capable to present that they’ve a grandparent born in one of many following circumstances:
• Within the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man;
• Earlier than March 31, 1922 in Eire; or
• On a ship or plane that was both registered within the UK or belonged to the UK authorities.
Individuals can declare ancestry if:
• They or their father or mother was adopted;
• Their mother and father or grandparents weren’t married.
Please be aware that individuals can not declare UK ancestry by step-parents.
APPLICATION TIME AND FEES
The earliest that individuals can apply is three months earlier than their meant date of journey. Individuals ought to get a choice on their visa utility inside three weeks of the date from once they apply from outdoors the UK.
With respect to charges, a UK Ancestry visa prices £516. Individuals can also should pay the healthcare surcharge as a part of their utility. Individuals are suggested to examine on-line how a lot they should pay earlier than making use of. Individuals can also need to discover out on-line about paying for a quicker choice.
STAYING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
Individuals can keep within the UK for 5 years on this visa. With respect to making use of to remain longer in the UK, if individuals have lived within the UK for 5 years on this visa, they can both:
• Apply to increase their visa for an additional 5 years; or
• Apply to settle completely within the UK (apply for ‘indefinite depart to stay’).
Only for completeness, individuals needs to be conscious that whereas they’re on this visa, they will work, examine and produce their companion or little one. Nonetheless, they aren’t permitted to alter (‘change’) into this visa in the event that they went to the UK on a special visa, and they won’t be eligible to get public funds.
All the most effective.
John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises legislation in Jamaica. He’s a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court docket-appointed mediator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator, international vice-president of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a member of the Immigration Legislation Practitioners Affiliation (UK). E mail: email@example.com