Jamaica recorded its highest variety of day by day COVID-19 circumstances with 527 circumstances reported throughout the island, in accordance with the Ministry of Well being and Wellness.
The brand new excessive shatters the earlier report of 468 circumstances reported on February 27.
The newly confirmed COVID-19 circumstances carry the full variety of circumstances on the island to 25,303, 10,469 of that are lively circumstances.
There have been three further COVID-19 deaths on Friday, bringing the general coronavirus demise toll in Jamaica to 446. The island’s positivity fee stands at 24.2%.
To curb the present spike in circumstances, the Jamaican authorities imposed a slew of recent restrictions on February 28. These embrace:
- A 6 PM closing time for zoos, parks, gyms, sights and bars, till March 22
- Closure of bodily colleges, anticipate for college kids sitting exterior examinations in grades 6, 11, 12 and 13
- A compulsory work-from-home order within the public sector
- A ban on social occasions or ceremonies, except digital, till March 22
- Unfavorable COVID-19 take a look at requirement for each Jamaicans and non-Jamaicans touring to the island
- The ban on direct flights from the UK has now been prolonged to March 22.
- The 8 PM to five AM curfew prolonged till March 23
- A ban on funerals and burials till March 22
- Closure of public seashores and rivers for 22 days, beginning March 1
Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness mentioned the federal government was pressured to behave resulting from “the capability of the well being system being threatened” resulting from a spike in circumstances over the previous week.
Moreover, he careworn that Jamaicans have additionally began to take the COVID-19 pandemic as a right.
Within the meantime, Jamaica is ready to obtain the primary cargo of the COVID-19 vaccine from India on Monday, March 8. The vaccination course of is slated to be rolled out in three phases: Part one is categorised as weak teams; part two, important to financial exercise; and part three, common public.
The Authorities has set a goal to vaccinate 65 % of the inhabitants by March 31, 2022.